Keeping Up with the Gener’s: Targeting Generation Z in Ecommerce
Jessica is an integrated marketing leader specializing in strategic B2B and B2C enterprise solutions.
Please restrain your eye-rolls at the mention of millennials and generation Z-ers. Honestly, it is impressive that you even clicked on this article (so thank you for that). But you can’t ignore the fact that they (myself included) are the largest percentage of the population with disposable income, AND they are now becoming the ecommerce generations. Yes, I am a Gen Z. But more importantly, why should you care about us? Well, let’s take a look at some facts:
- Gen Z’s are the children of corn technology, who would rather sacrifice themselves than their smartphones
- 80% of Gen Z’s purchases are influenced by social media.
- Thirteen-year-olds are now looking like they are twenty-two on Instagram (and can still take a better picture than me)
- Gen Y’s have an annual purchasing power of $170 billion
- Gen Z’s have an annual purchasing power of $44 billion
- Women and men ages 18 to 34 are more likely than 35 to 64-year-olds to engage in nearly every online shopping activity, with 40% of males and 33% of females in the younger age group saying they would buy everything online if they could.